Pistorius to Be Moved to House Arrest

South African athlete Oscar Pistorius will be released from prison next week and moved to house arrest, one year after being convicted for the killing of his girlfriend.

South Africa’s Department of Correctional Services said Thursday that Pistorious would be transferred October 20 and stay under house arrest for the remainder of his five-year sentence.

Pistorius was convicted last year for the shooting of model Reeva Steenkamp at his Pretoria home in February 2013.

Pistorius, who gained fame as the first double amputee to run in the Olympics, said he mistook Steenkamp for a nighttime intruder when he shot four times through a locked bathroom door.

The judge at his closely-watched trial set aside more serious charges of murder, allowing the athlete to serve a shorter sentence.

The parole board said Thursday that Pistorius will remain under “correctional supervision” through October 20, 2019.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s