Burkina Faso’s army has blocked roads around the presidential guard’s camp in the capital, a day after it said the guard is refusing to disarm following a failed coup.
Journalist Emilie Iob, reporting for VOA in Ouagadougou, says she witnessed soldiers erecting barricades Tuesday on several streets leading to the camp, and turning cars and pedestrians away.
She says there was no gunfire and residents of the capital remain calm.
Burkina Faso’s transitional government officially disbanded the guard, known as the RSP, on Friday.
The RSP agreed to disarm as part of a deal last week to end the coup attempt; but, on Monday, RSP members asked for guarantees of safety for themselves and their families before handing over their weapons.
RSP members launched the coup attempt September 16, unhappy the transitional government barred supporters of former president Blaise Compaore from running in upcoming elections.
Compaore was ousted in a popular uprising last October, as he tried to extend his 27 years in office.
RSP chief General Gilbert Diendere took power, but was forced to step down under pressure from protesters, the army and the West African bloc ECOWAS. Diendere has said he regretted the coup attempt.
Ahead of the failed coup, Burkina Faso was planning to hold national elections on October 11. It is currently unclear when the polls will take place.